2 week shutdown at Resolute Forest Products’ Thunder Bay newsprint mill
Resolute Forest Products is shutting down its newsprint mill in Thunder Bay, Ontario for 2 weeks.
110 workers will be affected by the downtime that starts on Wednesday.
The shut down is being blamed on market conditions and high costs.
There is a growing concern at the Thunder Bay mill concerning the contracting out of union jobs.
Resolute Forest Products wants to contract out 42 jobs to control costs at the mill. The CEP union has filed a grievance over the contracting out proposal and expects an arbitration hearing will be called.
The 42 positions are in newsprint shipping, kraft pulp shipping, garage maintenance, bark inventory and handling.
Layoffs ahead at Resolute pulp mill (The Chronicle Journal)
- Health questionnaire given to former and present workers of Thunder Bay, ON pulp & paper mill
- Update on injured workers in Thunder Bay
- Resolute Forest Products temporarily closes kraft mill in Thunder Bay over the holidays
- General Manager of Resolute's Thunder Bay mill promises 300 jobs
- Employee at Resolute's Thunder Bay mill wins $50 million lottery
- Resolute Forest Products planning on a 3rd shift at Thunder Bay sawmill
- Resolute Forest Products plans to build wood pellet plant at Thunder Bay, ON sawmill
- Management changes at Resolute in Thunder Bay, ON