Federal support for Quebec forestry industry
The Government of Canada has announced 2 financial contributions in support of Quebec‘s forestry industry.
The support is through the Canada Economic Development’s Quebec Economic Development Program
The non refundable grants are:
- $3,759,920 for FPInnovations
- $1,000,000 forQuebec Wood Export Bureau
“The Government of Canada supports Quebec forest industry aid organizations that, like FPInnovations and the Quebec Wood Export Bureau, promote innovation and market development and contribute to the diversification of the economy and job creation,” said Minister Denis Lebel, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, Minister of the Economic Development Agency of Canada for the Regions of Quebec and Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs. “The forestry industry is an economic sector that represents nearly 60,000 jobs in Quebec and it is crucial to support it,” he added.
FPInnovations is a not-for-profit research centre that helps the Canadian forest industry develop innovative solutions based on the unique attributes of Canada’s forest resources.
FPInnovations will use the funding from Canada Economic Development to acquire leading-edge equipment and design new products. Through this project, the research centre will help revitalize the Quebec forestry industry. It will also be able to enhance its research and development services as well as its production methods for the benefit of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in this sector.
Quebec Wood Export Bureau
The Quebec Wood Export Bureau (QWEB) is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to promote value-added wood products from Quebec to new markets. It represents more than 200 exporting firms in nine forestry sectors.
QWEB will use the funds from Canada Economic Development to take part in trade fairs, exhibitions and prospecting missions, and to retain its employees.
Source: Government of Canada
- Quebec releases new 2012-2017 Forest Sector Transformation Strategy
- Forest Innovation by Research and Education (FIBRE) unveiled
- Wood First commitments in 40 local governments in B.C.
- FPInnovations and Western Forest Products introduce a new green and cost-effective sound reduction product
- CelluForce starts operations in Windsor, Quebec
- A word from Hon. Joe Oliver, Minister of Natural Resources
- FPInnovations unveils its new organizational structure
- Canada's plan for Forestry Innovation in Canada's 2012 Budget