2 public meetings scheduled this week regarding Peace Valley OSB’s desire to use MDI
There are 2 meetings scheduled for the public this week over Peace Valley OSB‘s application to use methylene diphenyl diisocyanate (MDI) as the new resin in their OSB product.
At a public meeting in December, residents expressed their concerns about the use of MDI on their health.
The first meeting this week will be tonight at the Baldonnel School where residents will be invited to speak.
Tomorrow, Peace Valley OSB will be hosting its own information session at the North Peace Cultural Centre in Fort St. John from 6-9pm.
What is MDI?
MDI is a resin, or glue, that is used to bond wood strands to make oriented strand board (OSB). MDI provides a strong bond with wood particles or stands. Under intense heat, it will create a chemical weld that is superior to mechanical bond formed by using formaldehyde based products.
Why does Peace Valley OSB want to use MDI?
Peace Valley OSB wants to use MDI for a number of reasons, including:
- less drying of wood strands as MDI works well with moister strands
- lower fire risk because of moister wood strands
- easier to handle by employees compared to other resins
- quicker plant start-ups following maintenance shutdowns
- higher percentage of A-grade quality OSB
- significant cost savings which makes the plant more cost competitive in the OSB industry
MDI Health & Safety Concerns
MDI is known to be an allergen and sensitizer. It can cause dangerous systemic reactions, including respiratory failure, in extremely small exposures. Handling MDI requires strict engineering controls and personal protective equipment.
Residents are upset that when the Peace Valley OSB plant was proposed, they were promised the plant wouldn’t use MDI.
Two MDI public meetings this week (EnergeticCity.ca)
Peace Valley OSB – Don’t use MDI!! (Petition at Change.org)
Methylene diphenyl diisocyanate (Wikipedia)
Sticking with MDI (Wood Based Panels International)
MDI – a simple equation for OSB production? (Wood Based Panels International)
Letter from Peace Valley OSB to Peace River Regional District
Asthma-like symptoms in wood product plant workers exposed to methylene diphenyl diisocyanate (Chest)
Symptom Onset in the First 2 Years of Employment at a Wood Products Plant Using Diisocyanates: Some Observations Relevant to Occupational Medical Screening (American Journal of Industrial Medicine)
Preventing Asthma and Death from MDI Exposure During Spray-on Truck Bed Liner and Related Applications (CDC – Workplace Safety and Health)
- Baldonnel residents concerned with Peace Valley OSB's desire to use methylene diphenyl diisocyanate
- Crane derailment at Peace Valley OSB
- Louisiana-Pacific to become the sole owner of the Peace Valley OSB mill
- Grant Forest Products OSB mill in Timmins, Ontario is being demolished
- Fire at Meadow Lake OSB in Saskatchewan
- Update on fire at Meadow Lake OSB plant - mop up underway
- Fire update - OSB plant in Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan should soon reopen
- Tolko reopening Athabasca mill in Slave Lake, AB