Friday evening fire update for northeastern Ontario
Several new fires started today in northeastern Ontario.
Highway 144 is closed in the Gogama area, north of Highway 560 and Highway 661 to Highway 101 Junction.
Highway 101 is closed in the Timmins area between Highway 144 and Foleyet.
Highway 65 is closed from Matachewan to Elk Lake.
Kirkland Lake Area
There is a lot of smoke blowing into Kirkland Lake at this hour from the Timmins 9 fire.
Only 2mm of rain fell on the Kirkland Lake 8 fire northwest of the town. This fire was remapped today and is 2,635 hectares in size rather than 2,757 as previously reported.
Waterbombers have worked on Kirkland Lake 13 all day today along with bulldozers and ground crews. More crews are on their way to help with this fire. This fire is now over 1,000 hectares and is not under control. The fire is not currently considered a threat to Elk Lake, Matachewan or surrounding areas.
The gusty westerly winds pushed the track of Timmins 9 to the east today.
Timmins 9 has recently jumped Highway 144.
Heavy winds hampered suppression efforts this afternoon.
Timmins 15 started today. This fire was human caused and is currently 5 ha. The Old Mill Campground was evacuated due to this new fire.
There are been 4 new fires start in the Cochrane area today.
Wawa 17 is 150 ha in size and is located 20 km west of Duberville. The fire has responded to aggressive air attack and crews are protecting values with sprinklers.
- Update on fire situation in northeastern Ontario
- Rentech will produce wood pellets from 2 decommissioned mills in Ontario
- True North Plywood in Cochrane, ON set to re-open
- New forestry reality show being filmed in Northern Ontario
- Timmins Fire 9 grew significantly today; widespread smoke in northeastern Ontario
- Friday morning forest fire update from northeastern Ontario
- Kirkland Lake fire update
- Evacuation notices in Kirkland Lake, Ontario