West Fraser Timber reports $17 million loss in first quarter, 2012
Lumber operations in the quarter generated a loss of $29 million and EBITDA of negative $6 million. The improvement over the prior quarter was smaller than anticipated due to continued weakness in offshore prices for low-grade SPF lumber.
The panel segment, which includes plywood, LVL and MDF, generated $1 million of operating earnings and EBITDA of $5 million in the quarter, a marginal increase over the prior quarter.
Pulp and paper operations generated operating earnings in the quarter of $17 million and EBITDA of $30 million. The improvement over the prior quarter occurred despite the decline in pulp prices as the previous quarter’s results were negatively affected by the Hinton Pulp maintenance shutdown.
CEO Hank Ketcham said, “Although there are some improvements in our markets, we will continue to monitor capital spending and focus on maintaining a strong balance sheet as the North American and Asian economies remain fragile.”
Source: West Fraser (read release)
- West Fraser Timber reports net earnings of $6 million in third quarter
- West Fraser Timber planning 2 biomass-powered plants in B.C.
- West Fraser Timber reports fourth quarter 2011 results
- West Fraser Timber appoints Ted Seraphim as President and Chief Operating Officer
- West Fraser Timber reports earnings of $27 million in second quarter, 2012
- West Fraser to build new planer in Williams Lake
- West Fraser Timber posts earnings of $55 million in Q3, 2012
- West Fraser Timber plans to acquire Sundance Alberta operations