Domtar reports net earnings of $28 million in first quarter, 2012
Sales for the first quarter of 2012 amounted to $1.4 billion.
“Our businesses performed well in the quarter, but cyclically low prices in global pulp markets and higher costs affected results,” said John D. Williams, President and Chief Executive Officer. “On strategy, we announced and completed the acquisition of Attends Europe further expanding our Personal Care segment and we announced an innovative 15-year supply agreement with Appleton Papers that will result in the conversion of high volume communication paper capacity to specialty paper grades, securing a growing business long-term.”
Domtar feels price realizations in pulp are expected to improve from trough first quarter prices as a result of recently announced price increases. In paper, both volumes and prices are expected to positively impact results due to new business in specialty and packaging papers and price increases in the process of being implemented. Domtar expects their second quarter will be affected by the usual seasonal higher maintenance activity.
Source: Domtar (read release)
- Pulp and Paper Green Transformation Program investments announced
- Fire at Domtar's mill in Dryden, Ontario
- Domtar posts net earnings of $117 million in third quarter
- EACOM Timber Corp. posts another loss; Significant doubt company can continue as a going concern
- CelluForce starts operations in Windsor, Quebec
- Domtar announces an increase to its share buyback program to one billion dollars
- Domtar enters agreement to sell closed Lebel-sur-Quévillon mill to Fortress for $1
- Domtar reports net quarterly earnings of $61 million