1 pilot, 2 Tembec workers killed in helicopter crash near Kapuskasing, Ontario
A helicopter crashed near Kapuskasing, Ontario this morning, killing all 3 men on-board.
The men have been identified as:
- Pilot Greg Sawyer, 39, of North Bay, Ontario
- Dan Simis, 47, of Val Rita, Ontario
- Chad McQuade, 37, of Kapuskasing, Ontario
Sawyer worked for Sunrise Helicopters Inc. of North Bay. Both Simis and McQuade worked for Tembec.
The helicopter is Bell 206 Long Range helicopter. Around 11:45am the Ontario Provincial Police James Bay Detachment received a report of a helicopter crash from the Joint Rescue Coordination Center.
Members of the OPP Emergency Response Team and James Bay Detachment responded to this remote location near Clear Lake, approximately 30 kilometres south of Kapuskasing, along with Emergency Services personnel.
Investigators plan to being examining the accident scene on Thursday.
OPP Assist at Helicopter Crash South of Kapuskasing – Update (WawaNews)
North Bay-based pilot among 3 dead in chopper crash (North Bay Nugget)
- Strike pending at Tembec in Kapuskasing
- Machines shutting down at Tembec in Kapuskasing, Ontario in preparation for a strike
- Strike postponed for 48 hours in Kapuskasing, ON
- Tentative agreement reached at Spruce Falls in Kapuskasing
- Tembec reaches agreement with Kapuskasing employees
- Tembec just planted its 300th million tree in the Gordon Cosens Forest
- Southern Ontario heatwave shuts down paper machines in Kapuskasing
- Tembec reports a net loss of $10 million in latest quarter