Newfoundland and Labrador gives $4.3 million to improve workers’ skills at Corner Brook Pulp and Paper
The province of Newfoundland and Labrador is providing $4.3 million dollars to help the 450 workers at Corner Brook Pulp and Paper upgrade their skills.
The hope is the training will improve the mill’s competitiveness in the global market.
“We are grateful to the provincial government for supporting our efforts to invest in employee training,” said Stéphane Rousseau, vice president and general manager, Corner Brook Pulp and Paper Limited. “Not only will it have a positive impact on our competitiveness, but our employees will benefit from expanding their long-term employability.”
The training will cover approximately 450 employees across all departments and job categories over 3 years. The training will cover technological knowledge, mechanical skills, information technology training, as well as management skills.
“Corner Brook Pulp and Paper is one of the most recognizable and long-standing employers on the west coast of the province,” Darin King, Minister of Human Resources, Labour and Employment said today in Corner Brook. “The provincial government is proud to support the company’s efforts to better align its workforce to meet the ever-changing global marketplace. This project will also ensure long-term sustainability of jobs in the Corner Brook region.”
N.L. paper mill gets $4.3 million from province to upgrade worker’s skills (The Canadian Press)
Funding to provide enhanced training to mill employees (The Telegram)
Global Markets Putting the Squeeze on Paper Mill (VOCM)
- Job cuts coming to Corner Brook Pulp and Paper
- No job cuts made today in Corner Brook
- Protest at shift change in Corner Brook this morning
- Kruger and Corner Brook unions end negotiations with no agreeement
- CEP's Dave Coles recommends Corner Brook workers accept Kruger's offer
- CEP Local 242 President in Corner Brook doesn't appreciate Dave Coles' comments
- Newfoundland and Labrador may help with upgrades to Corner Brook Pulp and Paper
- Kruger receives FSC certification for Corner Brook mill